Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day!



Happy Memorial Day one and all. Do you have anything special planned for today?


I remember well the Memorial Days from my childhood. Mom and I always went to the Memorial Day parade on the northend of town. The parade always ended at the cemetery so afterward Mom and I would decorate the graves for the summer (her little brother who died shortly after birth, her father, her brother-in-law... then, when I was 12, her mother too). Once that was done we'd come home and Dad would fire up the charcoal grill. I don't remember much about the meals except that we always ate on the screened-in backporch. Dad would also fly the flag on that day too.


I don't think people make such a big deal out of Memorial Day today as they used to. Oh, they may have a picnic or something but it's not the same thing as truly celebrating Memorial Day.


Start a 1950s Memorial Day renaissance in your own home. Go to the cemetery, put out some flags on the graves of your loved ones who served or fly a flag on your house there at home, and then get out the grill... the old-fashioned one that needs charcoal and lighter fluid... and enjoy your day.


God bless our troops. The ones who have served and who are serving now. Long may the American flag wave!


~Retro Wife


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it! Keep posting.
We live on one income, I try to be a good housewife and I'm raising and will be homeschooling 2 boys and I have a baby girl on the way. Planning to have many more! Anyway, that's me in a nutshell - I'd love to see a post on retro aprons!